CHRISTMAS.......................through the EYES OF A CHILD!

Saturday, December 27, 2008


I came to a great revelation this Christmas season???..........after all these years...... I am a "child at heart" !..... and I have never given up the child like feelings that come with this beautiful season. I love playing the music from the first of November.(many have expressed the feelings I am rushing the season)..........I love decorating the house...... I love finding the "right" gift for those I LOVE! The only thing that has changed as an adult is the deep and abiding knowledge of "the reason for the season" Our Savior Jesus Christ. But when I tie it all together it makes sense. I have loved all that goes with Christmas from the beginning. I grew up and I had my own family and the great love for them is symbolic in the love our Savior had for us. His birth/the birth of my children--His LOVE for us--the LOVE I feel for my children and my family. Jesus Christ's atoning sacrifice for us. I could go on but this is a "blog" and my children have expressed that I tend to ramble and I am not to the point! They are right so I will just leave it here......but hopefully you know what I am trying to say!
I love my Savior Jesus Christ and my heart is filled with such gratitude for the sacrifices he made for each of us and the knowledge/testimony I have that families are eternal through the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

"I" had another experience this year and another lesson on PRAYER. I had tried very hard to find the right gifts for everyone including families not close by. I worked hard to get their boxes mailed off when they needed to be for safe arrival. After I got the boxes ready to go Cameron took them to the post office for me. The SHORT of this LONG story is my mother, sister, and Scott's family did NOT receive my gifts! (and they should have) Delivery confirmation indicated a few of them had been received when in essence they had not. After some calls to the post office and they did not know where they were......I went to the age old source of help and I prayed......mighty power of prayers to Father. I told HIM in the sceem of things this was not important but to me it was VERY IMPORTANT!! I continued to bug the post office.......my boxes received a "case number" but still no response. I prayed fervently as each day passed and NO DELIVERY.......On the 23rd I found myself in prayer off and on all night..........Christmas eve arrived and I felt sad......they were no where........Kay called me aout 4:00 PM........both of theirs just arrived and not with the regular mail.........JOY came but saddness that Scott's were LOST.....the next phone call came about 5:30 PM.........Scott had just received theirs. What joy filled my heart and a reassurance that Father is mindful of each of us individually.

We had many struggles this year to make Christmas happen but "we did it"!
We had an ice storm just the week of Christmas that knocked power out of over 77,000 homes! It truly was a beautiful sight IF you had power and did not have to drive in it........to which neither was the case in our home! Some power is still out. Many did not receive it until Christmas eve night. It was an amazing sight to see the entire city FILLED with power company trucks from all over the US to come to our aid. They traveled in "fleets" around the city...NIGHT and DAY to restore people's home with power. They had to of given up quality family time for our well being. It was a sight I had never seen before and humbled by their response to our city.
Amanda and Ben drove in the storm to get here Tuesday evening. Ryan, Kayla and Trevor drove all night (12 hours which is usually a 5 hour drive) in the car to arrive here. Marnie had to work Christmas Eve and drove here after she got off work that day. bMelissa came Wednesday after she got off work at 11:00 PM and drove only 5 hours. she arrived, made the breakfast casserole for our breakfast and slept a "few hours"!
Then the day began!!
What excitement beheld these two little ones. I have to say how grateful I am that Melissa and Ryan are so willing to share their children with us each Christmas and we can "feel" their sweet innocence.

Amanda has kept up Grandma Thurma's tradition of home made cinnamon rolls for us. Just look at those mouth watering rolls.
Good food, family...............let the day continue:

My desire with this gift was to let Music fill Cameron's life and develop a new talent. He has never picked up the instrument before. He expressed a desire one time to learn to play and I know he can "teach" himself to play!

Melissa had secertly sent out a letter to each family member asking they buy for their sibbiling gift exchange but if everyone could buy an article of clothing for Grant who had been serving his mission for 2 years, came back with few clothes and was saving all of his $$$$$$$$ for school. That was a special feeling to see the packages arrive for Grant. Our family is so willing to share and care and help one another!! Grant has some nice things to start his semester at BYU!

Speaking of BYU we have the Utes vs Cougers in this household! BUT we respect one another and the diversity that is here.........Melissa/Ryan had Ben and Amanda this year with the sibling gift exchange and she (along with Ryan) spent many hours on their gift!! A beautiful quilt with the U of U fabric! Do you think they LIKED it?????? look at their faces! Hats go off to Melissa and Ryan for the hours they spent on it along with such a busy schedule!!
I could keep going on this blog but it will turn into a book.........there is much more to write about but I will have to do it in another posting!
As always I close this blog with:
"eight is enough to fill my heart with LOVE"!
I am so blessed with each of my children and their spouses! I have seven of the most wonderful grandchildren. My basket is overflowing! stay tuned for more Christmas fun!!

1 comments:

Amanda said...

can you believe it already came and went! It was great to be there.