Amanda called me a month ago and asked me if she could have the baby chiffarobe for this new "baby goates" that will enter the world in the spring. She took me by surprise that she might want it for her baby since it is 60 years old.. but I was pleased that it will stay in the family and be used by another generation. It was my sister Kay's. Then my sister Connie used it for her two children. When I was going to have Amanda I asked if I could have it......and I refinished it. It was then used for Eric, Grant &Cameron! When Cameron and I pulled it out he said "I REMEMBER USING THIS"! OK. so it looks pretty bad....but I am sure someday Amanda/Ben will post a blog with the "finished product" after they refinish it!
When I went home to Galesburg I was given a few things that were "from the past" and I am SO EXCITED to have this THANKSGIVING with family to be able to bring them out and mix the past with the present! I carefully unpacked them and they have a "place in my home"!
Everything I received from my Aunt was from this lady:

It is a picture of MY GRANDMOTHER: Ruth A Hurt Zimmer. I see a lot of my grandmother in Marnie. Anyway.........I received (6) of these dessert dishes that were a wedding present to my grandparents. They will be on our thanksgiving table this week and I hope I can relay some stories to my children so that they my know my past and part of their heritage!


six of these goblets which were my Grandmother's mother. Edith Hurt.....
We will have soup served sometime during the weekend from this.......
This is actually from my great grandmother on my dads side.....
One last thing that sits on my book shelf.......

A plate painted by my great grandmother.......
I remember going to dinner at my Grandmother's house and in her dinning room was a built in
china cabinet and everyone of these things were in there on display. I didn't think much about any of the things in there until my grandmother was gone.........as I have aged I savor the sweet memories of a childhood that was filled with the LOVE of my grandparents. I want very much to pass those sweet stories onto my children and their children. That we can mix the "old" things with new traditions and new memories that my children will carry forth and their children will someday remember Grandma Barb and the things that are a part of my life.
It is THANKSGIVING this week......and my heart is so full with the blessings that I have in my life!
"EIGHT + is enough to fill MY HEART WITH LOVE"!
Happy Thanksgiving!

3 comments:
very cool! I'm excited to see all those special heirlooms and to give that dresser some TLC for the babe.
TLC is needed BUT I KNOW you two an DO IT! It is solid.....that I can say!
How fun it is to keep things in the family! We have my crib, refinished it & have used it for our kids. Neat times!
Post a Comment